Saturday 19 May 2012

The struggles of being a fit pro

Hey there people,

Okay I wanted to write something a bit different today and to be 100% honest with you guys.

Ive been a fitness professional (fit pro) for just under 4 years now and it's the best decision I ever made, seeing people grow in confidence, become new people or find themselves again all by losing weight is very satisfying.

A lot of the time I'm so busy helping others reach there goal I forget about myself. Now I hold my hands up in past years I have been a 'fat' trainer and to tell people what to eat and how to exercise is sometimes hypercritical..I have been taunted by people over this names like chunky, chubby and 'big' have cut deep and to be honest I have an emotional attachment to food so I turn to chocolate,crisps & takeaways for comfort - i am human after all!

I know exactly what that food does to my body and know the impact but you know what all that goes out of the window, last year I went through some bad times and went up to my largest at 224lbs (pic in the yellow shirt below) before a knee operation in early December.

I find the pressure of being a fit pro sometimes to much, I enjoy certain foods, proper English meals like bangers and mash, Sunday dinners, gammon, chips and beans, mixed grills but because I'm a personal trainer I'm not allowed to eat normally in the eyes of society. I have to live off a diet of rabbit food and pasta!??

I enjoy a beer here and there nothing like I use to but I enjoy it with friends, yet I mention I'm going on a night out 'but your a personal trainer??' so because I'm a personal trainer my life can't be social?

I eat clean 80% of the time the 20% I like to eat what I want because at the end of the day i am a human being, I'm only here once and I want to enjoy the things I enjoy.

You know I've not trained properly for 6 months because of my knee op and I have clients who are fitter than me in my academy, but I can't be seen to be unfit, I have to have the body, the fitness levels and the certain way Of eating to fit into a stereotypical outlook of personal trainers that the world has

I don't like being like everyone else, I don't eat tuna pasta all day, I don't train all day, everyday and I certainly don't like to wear tight fitting muscle tops.

I'm a normal person with a normal life, doing an awesome job to get the public in shape.

Now I know I wouldn't take advice of a tramp about becoming a millionaire that's why I have got myself into shape this year on my 14 day fat blast, but I'm still the same old Ian with the same old daily struggles.

Food is a powerful thing it's when you know how to deal with your cravings does it make it easier moving forward, I've learnt this year the body wants the food to make you feel better about yourself, release dopamine to give you the good vibe back but the need for food increases more and more...only if you let it!!

Be strong and face the reason why you depend on food, you will find the attachment goes away in time.. You'll still have the cravings but you will know why!

I've put a picture below of me in a very manly pink top with my daughter before I was a fit pro and my comfort eating got way out of hand and one of me now (orange top) 4 years on.

Scary stuff what food can do to you!!




3 comments:

  1. Loved reading that x not often you hear men speak honestly like that never mind personal trainers. Watching people grow in confidence must be an amazing feeling I'm only into week three and I feel so much better already so thank you x can't wait till I'm in a place where I can accept food and not use it as a comfort or a friend or to relieve boredom and with your help I know I will get there

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done ian love ya looking good :-) ya du a gud job in wat u du ya shud be proud you was the 1 that motivated me in the first place just a shame i cudnt afford to stay on gud luck in the future xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats why I like training with you and getting the food advice because you've been there done that got the tshirt. People who have never had an issue with food before easily dismiss it as lack of willpower, when you could have all the willpower in the world but emotional eating is hard to control. Your not patronising in your advice, which is refreshing because the tip 'eat less.' can get annoying after hearing it hundreds of times, if it was that easy then there would be no chunky people in the world Ha. This past month has opened my eyes alot to the damage I was doing to my body before trying to get slim quickly, now because of your advice, i'm doing it the right way - so that it stays that way and I don't have to re-lose all the weight in a years time. Thankyou to you and Lianne for all your time and effort. And looking forward to being able to have my own after pictures :)

    Hayley
    xXx

    ReplyDelete